[R-sig-ME] GLMMs to identify the pure seasonal effect in a repeated measurement

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Nov 24 10:30:56 CET 2015

Dear Tim,

Have a look at the INLA package (www.r-inla.org). It allows you to model
spatially correlated random effects, temporally correlated random effects,
use a negative binomial distribution and specify linear combination (needed
for the posthoc tests). Downside: it's not for the faint of heart.

Having time as factor both in the fixed and random part is useless. See
http://rpubs.com/INBOstats/both_fixed_random

Assuming that you revisited the same locations, then a reasonable simple
model would be:

fit <- lme4::glmer.nb(abundance ~ time + (1|locationID))

pro:
- negative binomial
- repeated visits to the locations acknowledged
- post hoc test of time via glht

contra:
- compound symmetry correlation for location instead of spatial correlation
- no temporal correlation

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest