[R-sig-ME] GLMMs to identify the pure seasonal effect in a repeated measurement

trichter at uni-bremen.de trichter at uni-bremen.de
Mon Nov 23 22:39:44 CET 2015

Dear list,

i am very new to mixed models. My data encompasses species composition
matrices from six different time points with spatial correlation
structure. For each species, i want to know if there is a pure effect
by time, f.e. if abundance changes can be purely explained by time
alone.
I used to glht() with time being a simple factor (so not accounting
for the repetitive nature of my data), but this seems
inapprobiate/wrong. So, i am actually trying to do:

fit <- lme(fixed=abundance ~ time, random=~1|time, data,
correlation=corxxx(form=~x.pos + y.pos))

with time being a factor with 6 levels (a side question would be, if
it would be better to use "time" as.time?)

Because my data is actually negative binomially distributed, i was
advised to use glmmPQL, but this gives me only intercepts, no
significancies or ways to compare models by log likelihood or AIC.

The basic question is, if that syntax is correct? Because i have seen
many examples looking at interactions, but never anything where the
only fixed predictor is also random. I do get an output, which i can
interpret and which resembles what i can actually see from boxplots.

The overarching question is, if there are post-hoc tests for repeated
measurements of spatially autocorrelated, non-normally distributed data.

Thank you, Tim