[R-sig-ME] glmer random effects structure: a case

Simone miseno77 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:07:51 CET 2015

Dear Malcolm,

Thank you so much for your detailed (very
interesting references!) and helpful answer. I have centered Var2 by IND and I
have used both the individual-specific mean Var2 (Var2meanIND) as well as the
individual-specific centered Var2 (Var2varIND). I understand that this way I can
test if the variation among individuals (first case) or within them (second
case) relate to the response variable.

As you suspected, DATEs are often close
each other and it is quite probable I have autocorrelated data. You mentioned
that the nlme package handles correlated residuals and I have found the code to
do that but the problem is that I cannot do it for my case study since the
distribution I am using is a binomial and nlme is only for linear mixed model,
isn’it?

For now, I have being using the below syntax
and using LRT (anova) between reduced nested models to compute the p-value for
each predictor. I know that LRT is very criticized but I have been asked to
calculate p-values for each predictor.

Mod1<-glmer(Var1 ~ SEX + AGE +
Var2meanIND + Var2varIND + (1|DATE) + (1|IND) , data = mydata, family = binomial,
control = glmerControl(optimizer="bobyqa"))

This way I am not accounting at all for the
autocorrelation, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Simone