[R-sig-ME] glmer random effects structure: a case

John Morrongiello john.morrongiello at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 16 11:36:30 CET 2015

Hi Simone
Maybe  technique behavioural ecologists call 'within subject centring' might be of use? This allows you to decompose a mean response (var2 coefficient) into its within and among individual components. See the references below for further details

van de Pol, M. V., and J. Wright. 2009. A simple method for distinguishing within- versus between-subject effects using mixed models. Animal Behaviour 77:753-758.
Dingemanse, N. J., and N. A. Dochtermann. 2013. Quantifying individual variation in behaviour: mixed-effect modelling approaches. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:39-54.

Cheers
John
--
Dr. John R. Morrongiello