[R-sig-ME] Small sample Size; repeated measurements binomial glmer

Quentin Schorpp quentin.schorpp at ti.bund.de
Thu Nov 5 17:08:25 CET 2015

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer,
I'm so sorry, what I wrote was misleading: I did not sample five
agricultural fields, but 15 agricultural fields of five different
age_classes, hence each age_class was replicated 3times.

And, yes my total number of samples is 30, each of the 15 fields was
sampled two times repeatedly. Therfore each field (i.e. subject appears
twice in the data)

I thought since I compare five different populations (the age_classes),
and the sample size would be the number of real replicates, in fact 3.
If I would drop an outlier then, I would reduce the number of replicates
(i.e. sample size) to only 2.

But if the total sample size is what matters, then it would be 30 and I'll
have one Problem less. Because I will be able to drop some outliers.

Things become even more complicated, since one category was not sampled
two times repeatedly over time, but the three fields of category five were
switched in the second year to three different fields, so this group has
got 6 replicates indeed. I think this is called partly nested.

I'm going to read your recommendations of literature, I am very curious
about, what degree of trustability can i expect from that kind of
experimental design.

What's your opinion, can I use the model the way it is, or should i
analyse each time-point separately, or build the mean of both?
Do you know a tutoraial or a book about the inclusion of bayesian priors
in binomial glmm's, that you could recommend me?

Again, thank you very much for taking your time and answering my
questions, unless i won't bother you, i'd like to say, that you
contributed more than anybody else to a deeper understanding of glmms for
so many people, by writing comments on stackoverflow. That is incredible,
thank you very much for that.

Quentin