[R-sig-ME] covariance problems in MCMCglmm. genetic effects and multiple membership

Alexandre Martin alexandre.m.martin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:15:34 CEST 2015

Dear Szymek,

Thank you again for your contribution with your last answer.

I am wondering now how to write the model to estimate the covariance between
the “mm(…)” and the “animal” random parts.

Jarrod wrote in this thread
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2011q4/017034.html) about
maternal genetic effects : “it is not yet possible to fit the covariance
between maternal genetic and direct genetic effects“

Since my model is similar to that described in the thread, is it still
impossible to fit a model to assess the covariance between direct and
indirect genetic effects in a way similar to that in ASReml as follow?

For y =Xb + Z1animal + Z2maternal + e

Analysis of some kind

anim !P                       # The variable ‘anim’ is related to a pedigree
fil

dam !P                        # The variable ‘dam’ is related to a pedigree
file

dage 10 !A

rt 6

wwt