[R-sig-ME] interactions lmer continuous and categorical fixed factor

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:31:05 CEST 2015

On 15-06-01 11:18 AM, Thierry Onkelinx wrote:
> Dear Lotte,
>
> I assume that the "one p-value for the interaction" is the p-value
> from anova(model). Note that this tests a different hypothesis than
> the hypothesis than summary(model) tests (without reporting
> p-values).
>
> IMHO, p-values of parameters estimates are not that relevant.
> Confidence intervals of those parameter estimates are much more
> relevant. I'd rather report those.
>
> Best regards,
>
> ir. Thierry Onkelinx Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek /
> Research Institute for Nature and Forest team Biometrie &
> Kwaliteitszorg / team Biometrics & Quality Assurance Kliniekstraat
> 25 1070 Anderlecht Belgium
>
> To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
> more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may
> be able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer
> Fisher The plural of anecdote is not data. ~ Roger Brinner The
> combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
> not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given
> body of data. ~ John Tukey

  To follow up, I would say that
* you probably *should* be reporting just the p-value for the overall
test of the interaction (i.e. the one returned by anova()).
* if you really want the p-values of the individual parameters, look
at ?pvalues and specifically try the lmerTest package.
* if you're going to start looking at tests for lots of different
levels you might want to consider multiple-comparisons corrections,
see e.g.
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/5250/multiple-comparisons-on-a-mixed-effects-model