[R-sig-ME] lmer: constraining sigma to 0

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed May 6 22:47:44 CEST 2015

On 15-05-06 12:45 PM, Markus Brauer wrote:

> Dear colleague,
>
> I came across a website/forum in which you talked about
> constraining the residual variance to zero (in LMEMs):
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/11418
>
> I am aware that you suggested to use blmer. Has there been any
> development since 2013? Is there a way to fix sigma EXACTLY to zero
> now?

I believe nothing has changed since 2013.  As I may have said in that
message (I'm not bothering to check ...), and as Doug Bates has
certainly said before, lmer's underlying parameterization is in terms
of a *relative* covariance parameter Sigma -- that is, all of the
random-effects (co)variances are expressed relative to the
observation-level/residual variance.

- From http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.5823 (hopefully coming to JSS any day now!)

Section 3.4:

We are now in a position to understand why the formulation in
equations 2 and 3 is particularly useful. We are able to explicitly
profile $\betavec$ and $\sigma$ out of the log-likelihood (Equation
25), to find a compact expression for the profiled deviance (negative
twice the profiled log-likelihood) and the profiled REML criterion as
a function of the relative covariance parameters, $\bm\theta$, only.
Furthermore these criteria can be evaluated quickly and accurately.

========

I can understand the problem this presents for you, but I don't know how
helpful I can be.   Besides the aforementioned tricks (e.g. using blmer),
I wonder if you could hack up a post-fitting summary that would combine
the unidentifiable variance components into a single (identifiable)
value ... ?