[R-sig-ME] lmer: constraining sigma to 0

Markus Brauer markus.brauer at wisc.edu
Wed May 6 18:45:16 CEST 2015

Dear colleague,

I came across a website/forum in which you talked about constraining the
residual variance to zero (in LMEMs):

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/11418

I am aware that you suggested to use blmer. Has there been any
development since 2013? Is there a way to fix sigma EXACTLY to zero now?

Here is the problem. Like you, I teach statistics and linear
mixed-effects models. My students and I frequently use lmer to analyze
data with one or multiple sources of non-independence. However, I run
into problems with designs that contain only dichotomous within-subject
variables and only one data point per cell of the design per subject. In
these designs, the residuals are zero (the level-1 models perfectly fit
the data). I understand that technically, such a linear mixed-effects
models are not identifiable. They would be identifiable, however, if I
could fix the parameter for the variance of the residuals to zero.

I can, of course, transform my data into wide format and analyze them
with a GLM procedure (e.g., lm) but it seems bizarre to have to go
through the tedious data restructuring process (dcast ...) and use
different commands for a certain type of design that is in fact quite
similar to other designs that can easily be analyzed with lmer.

I tried a number of things (e.g., not including any random slopes, not
including the random slope for the highest order interaction effect),
but none of them gave me the “right” values for the inferential
statistics. Take a 2 x 2 within-subjects ANOVA with one data point per
cell of the design from each participant. By transforming the data into
wide format and using a standard GLM procedure I can obtain the “right”
F- and p-values. I have not found a way to obtain the same values with
the data in long format (i.e., four lines per participant) and using
lmer. It doesn’t matter which random effects structure I specify … I am
not getting the “right” F- and p-values.

The only trick I have found in lmer is to suppress the error message
with control=lmerControl(check.nobs.vs.nRE="ignore"). But suppressing
the error message is not the same as constraining sigma to be zero.

Do you know how to fix the parameter for the variance of the residuals
to zero?

Thanks a lot for your insight. Best wishes,

— Markus

Markus Brauer
Professor
Department of Psychology