[R-sig-ME] GlmmADMB: random slopes and fixed effects

Genevieve Perkins genevieve.c.perkins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 15:56:20 CEST 2015

Hi Thierry,
Thanks for the response and great advice.

I have 25 species, 59 sites and total of 1475 observations (including
absences).
I didn't mention in the post, but I centered all my predictor variables
prior to fitting the model (except trait,which is coded as -1 or +1 for
ease of interpretation).

I am able to run the model both with and without fixed affects :

 fitn <- glmmadmb(bird.abund ~ Cats + trait + Cat:trait + Veg + Pop + (1 +
Veg + Pop + Cats|Species), data = bdata, family= "nbinom").

The parameters for the random slope do not have normal distributions, so I
will take your advice and also include these as fixed effects.

Could you suggest any references which explain how random slopes are
treated. I have mainly been using Zurr, Gelman and Hill, chapters from
Ecological Statistics (eds. Fox et al.) and online postings.

Thanks again!