[R-sig-ME] GlmmADMB: random slopes and fixed effects

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Wed Apr 29 09:51:24 CEST 2015

Dear Genevieve,

An observation level random effect (OLRE) is used in a poisson or binomial
glmm to model the overdispersion. The negative binomial distribution has a
parameter that handles the overdispersion. So you don't need the ORLE.

Note that the as.formula() is not required.

Random slopes assume that the parameters follow a normal distribution with
zero mean. When the overall slope is not zero, this assumption is violated
when the variable is not used as a fixed effect.

Note that you better center random slopes to get more stable estimates. Do
you have enough data to fit such a complex model? The variance covariance
matrix of the Species random effect requires 10 parameters. I would strive
for >100 observations per species and >10 species.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest
Kliniekstraat 25