[R-sig-ME] mixed-effects model with crossed random effects

Magdalena Wiedermann mwiederm at mtu.edu
Fri Apr 24 17:03:53 CEST 2015

Dear list,

I am using the nlme package to analyze a mixed effects model. I am
dealing with crossed random effects, meaning that I have repeated
measures in time and space (on a split plot design). We are sampling
water at two depth within one of each vegetation treatment (3 veg
treatments) organized in 4 blocks.

I figured that the code including the spacial component only would be!?:
<-lme(responses~veg*depth*year*Month, random=~1|block/veg)

I am aware that 4 blocks is not pretty for it to be a random effect, but
I am not interested in it as fixed effects. Also I am aware that there
are very many philosophies and views on what a random effect is/should be.

Can anybody please help me with adding the temporal component in?
Samples on these plots were taken 5 times each year for 3 years => 15
times of repeated measures

I'd be more than happy about any suggestions, similar examples etc.
Thank you so much!
Lena