[R-sig-ME] Little variability in outcome; "pwrssUpdate did not converge"

Ruben Arslan rubenarslan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:06:41 CET 2015

Thanks for your response! I'd prefer to model this the same way I did in three other populations (with lower means and sample sizes) for the sake of presentation and comparability. The basic idea (sorry that wasn't clear) is a sibling control design, examining the effect of paternal age within families (i.e. no marginal models for me).

I'm not sure I understand how I could estimate offsets separately from the conditional analysis. I've tried including only families with at least two sibs (nope), but wouldn't selecting based on the outcome introduce bias? How would I remedy that?

My previous mail contained a mis-specified model, since that happened to give any output and I thought it might be informative.
It also had a odd prior specification. The default specification is c(10,2.5). Unthinkingly, I set a very high SD on the slopes i.e. c(9,9). That's not a good idea since these high SDs on the normal put a lot of weight on 0 and 1 on the logit (there's a section on this in 2.6. of the MCMCglmm course notes).
Unfortunately, even though I do get improved results with small subsamples (30k) using the default prior spec (as opposed to vanilla glmer), the models still do not converge with the 3.5m dataset.

I was thinking that I might get closer by simply splitting my sample? I'm of course still hoping there's some control I've missed.