[R-sig-ME] Little variability in outcome; "pwrssUpdate did not converge"

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Mar 25 00:01:56 CET 2015

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Ruben Arslan wrote:

> I have a dichotomous outcome (child mortality) with a very high mean
> (0.9946) in a large dataset (3.5m).
>
> I thought maybe the problem still is complete separation and I'm just being
> too timid with the blme prior.
>
> Oddly (maybe not), the only model where I do get convergence is one where I
> accidentally mis-specified my sample, so my outcome was censored (hence the
> mean but not the intercept was lower). I'm attaching the model.

The misspecified model? Maybe you should be doing something else, such as
bivariate logistic (dropping extra offspring) or marginal models? If you
are interested just in familial aggregation, you can do the conditional
analysis using just the ~18000 odd families with one or more events,
using the other families just to estimate offsets.

A few random thoughts ;)