[R-sig-ME] Choosing appropriate priors for bglmer mixed models in blme

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 08:50:19 CET 2015

Hi Josie,

Is the problem you are having because of complete separation, either
because you have some very good predictors of lesions and/or you have
low replication for some factor levels? If so blmer with Gelman's
recommended prior (not the diffuse prior) should do a reasonable job
of allowing sensible inferences to be made. However, as Ben said in an
earlier post,its not clear that this is the problem.

Similar issues are possible with the random effects, but this tends to
be rare because they are constrained. I only see it when the variance
component is very large, not zero as here.

If the perceived problem is zero variance estimates, I'm not sure why
this is a problem. If the true variances are zero you should expect a
MLE of zero 50% of the time. With only 8 levels of the random effect,
you should expect an MLE of zero often, even if the true variance is
moderate. The same power issues will generate MLE correlations of -1
and 1.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Josie Galbraith <josie.galbraith at gmail.com> on Mon, 9 Mar 2015