[R-sig-ME] lmer with binomial distribution of random effects

El Kihal, Siham Siham.ElKihal at hof.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Mar 6 21:21:38 CET 2015

Dear lmer() friends,

I am trying to estimate a model with a random intercept, and 2 random slopes.
I believe that my betas (slopes) do not follow a normal distribution, but rather a bimodal distribution. The reason for this that there are two possible mechanisms that influence the evolution of this variable, one with a negative influence and another one with a positive influence. This is why I need to use a bimodal distribution for my slopes to avoid the fact that both effects right now cancel out.

Does anyone of you has already done this or has an idea how to concretely implement this using lmer()?

Thanks a lot for your support, this will help me a lot!

Many regards,

Siham