[R-sig-ME] Multivariate analysis for proportional data

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 24 22:14:34 CET 2014

On 25/12/14 04:05, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2014, Mayara Amescua wrote:
>
>> I have a data set owing some response variables with proportional values
>> and independent variables of mixed effect. How it is possible
>> performing a
>> multivariate analysis of this type once the MCMCglmm package doesn't
>> allow
>> for binomial family?
>
> Mayara,
>
>    If your data are proportions you should look carefully at compositional
> data analysis (CoDA). There are seveal R packages for this, including
> 'compositions', 'robCompositions' (robust compositions), and
> 'zCompositions'. For documention and lerning there are the 'Lecture
> Notes on
> Compositoinsl Data Anayis' by Pawlowsky-Glahn, V., Egozcue, J. J., and
> Tolosana-Delgado, R. (available as a PDF but I don't recall the URL
> off-hand); 'Analyzing Compositional Data with R' by van den Boogaart, K.G.
> and Tolosana-Delgado, R.; and 'A Concise Guide to Compositional Data
> Analysis' by John Aitchison, also available as a PDF.

I am of course prejudiced, but I think that in respect of compositional
data analysis one would be well-advised to have a read of "Colours and
Cocktails:  Compositional Data Analysis.  2013 Lancaster Lecture" by
J. L. Sealy and A. H. Welsh, Aust. & N. Z. J. Statist., vol. 56, 2014,
pp. 145 -- 169.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--