[R-sig-ME] lmertest F-test anova(fullm) and anova(fullm, reducedm)

Lionel hughes.dupond at gmx.de
Fri Nov 28 18:29:51 CET 2014

Dear Marie,

Ok, it makes things easier, I would then go for:
Scores~Condition*Specie+Order+(1+Order|Subject), you would then get an
estimation of how variable is the intercept between the Subject, plus
how variable the slope Scores vs Order between the Subject is, in this
context having one value per subject and order will not be a problem. I
guess the discussion between this model and the one you wrote is similar
to the one about having an interaction term without having a main effect
in the first place, I am not sure if it is also an issue in mixed models
but just for safety I would then include Order as a main effect.

In my example the model with (1|subject) will estimate the variation of
the intercept, you could actually get the estimated variation for each
subject to the average but this is usually not so much of interest. So
if you do ranef(model) you would get one column, one 'coefficient' per
subject (actually these are the deviations from the overall coefficient,
they are not coefficient per se as the model did not estimate them
individually).
However if your model is (weight|subject), this is equivalent to
(1+weight|subject), then you would get again the variation of the
intercept PLUS the variation of the slope response vs weight, if you do
ranef(model) you would then get two columns so two 'coefficient' per
subject.

Cordialement,
Lionel