[R-sig-ME] lmertest F-test anova(fullm) and anova(fullm, reducedm)

Lionel hughes.dupond at gmx.de
Thu Nov 27 18:52:14 CET 2014

Dear Marie Devaine,

1) The way you account for the order effects is not the way I would go,
I can see various options:
  - The effect of Order on Scores is not changing the relationships
between your fixed effects part and the Scores, and each individuals is
"learning" the task differently I would then use a nested random part:
Scores~Condition*Specie+(1|Subject/Order), you would then get an
estimation of much variation there is in the Scores between subject and
also how much variation there is within subject between Order levels.
- Order is changing the relationship between your fixed effect part and
the Score, ie the Condition effect on the Scores is different whether a
primate is in its first trials or in its fourth one. You would then need
random slopes, and then one way to go would be:
Scores~Condition*Species+(1+Condition|Subject/Order), you would then get
the same estimate as in the previous options plus how much the Condition
slope vary between the Subject and within the Subject, between the
Order. Seeing your number of levels I guess that the estimation will be
rather tricky ...
You can see the wiki for more infomation on this:
http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq#modelspec
I guess that your are misinterpreting the random slope part, you can see
it as an interaction term between one fixed effect term and one random
term, for example if you were to measure the weights of your primates
and made the hypothesis that the weights affect the scores but that this
effect (direction+strength ie slope) might vary between your subject
then you would have a random slope of weight depending on the subject
(weight|subject).

2-3) The first method identify if the interaction term explain a big
enough portion of the total sum of square, it is a measure of how
important is this term at explaining the variation in your data. The
second method compare the likelihood (ie the probability to find this
dataset with this particular set of parameter) between the model with
and the model without the interaction term, if the removal of the
interaction term leads to a big decline in the likelihood of the model
then the p-value should score significant and you should keep the full
model, in the other case the parcimony approach would lead you to choose
the reduced model. So the difference come from the fact that the two
methods are computing a different thing. As to which one is better this
is a tricky question, the way I would go would be to compute confidence
intervals around the main effect plus interaction term using bootMer for
example and then interpreting them. You may have a look at ?pvalues for
more options/suggestions.

As I am not familiar with lmerTest package I will not comment on your
last question.

Hoping that I clarified some points,
Lionel