[R-sig-ME] Ordinal categorical variable as a random effect in MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 15:22:41 CET 2014

Dear Manabu,

Could you explain what Quality is? If it is ordered it is hard to see
why you would be fitting it as random effect? Is this really your
response variable?

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Manabu Sakamoto <manabu.sakamoto at gmail.com> on Wed, 29 Oct
2014 11:16:48 +0000:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm using MCMCglmm with some random effects, including a phylogeny and a
> categorical variable, scored along an ordinal scale, e.g., 1 < 2 < 3 <...
>
> If my phylogenetic tip names are stored as a character string Taxon (and
> there is an associated inverse A object), and my quality codes are stored
> as an ordered factor variable Quality, then my questions are:
>
> 1) Can I specify the random effect formula simply as: random= ~ Taxon +
> Quality --- i.e., without functions like us() or idh() around Quality?
> 2) What sort of prior should I assign for Quality? --- For the moment I am
> using:
>
> list(V=1, nu=1, alpha.mu = 0, alpha.V = 25^2)
>

> I'd appreciate any advise.
>
> Kind regards.
> Manabu
> --
> Manabu Sakamoto, PhD
> manabu.sakamoto at gmail.com
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.