[R-sig-ME] Convergence warnings in lme4

adam.hayward at ed.ac.uk adam.hayward at ed.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 15:21:03 CEST 2014

Dear list users,

This is a general question, rather than a specific example of my data.
I have recently upgraded my computer and to R ver 3.1.1 from 3.0.2.
Models (glmer) which previously ran perfectly are now producing
warning messages regarding failure to converge, for example:

Warning messages:
1: In checkConv(attr(opt, "derivs"), opt$par, ctrl = control$checkConv,  :
   Model failed to converge with max|grad| = 0.0238312 (tol = 0.001,
component 13)
2: In checkConv(attr(opt, "derivs"), opt$par, ctrl = control$checkConv,  :
   Model failed to converge: degenerate  Hessian with 1 negative eigenvalues

and this is true with a range of optimizers. Running identical models
on my old and new versions of R produces identical output (estimates,
AIC etc) but the new version of lme4 produces the warnings.

My questions are thus (1) has lme4 recently been updated with
significant changes in what constitutes acceptable convergence, and
(2) can my models now be trusted?

Many thanks for any comments or help,

Adam

--
Adam Hayward
Post-Doctoral Research Associate

Institute of Evolutionary Biology
Ashworth Laboratories
King's Buildings
University of Edinburgh
West Mains Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3JT

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.