[R-sig-ME] Modeling variance heterogeneity in lme4 + meaning of VarCorr values

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Oct 21 11:08:00 CEST 2014

Dear Emmanuel,

I think that the covariances between the random 'slopes' can be meaningful in your case. Suppose that the diameter changes over the length, the shapes are very similar, but the overall sizes different. In such a case the covariances would be high. Fixing the covariances at zero would be imply that the diameter at one position is independent of that of another position. Which is probably not what you want.

lme()  has several varClasses(). Something like varConstPower(form = ~abs(distanceToCenter)) might be relevant to your problem.

Lmer with the random 'slope' and lme with the varIdent tackle the shape of the object in different manners. Calling those models equivalent is too strong. I would suggest that you write down the mathematical equation of both models. It helps me to understand how a model works.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey