[R-sig-ME] comparing posterior means

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Oct 15 16:30:02 CEST 2014

Ben

Yes, you can do this comparison of the conditional means using the variance of the linear combination AND there is in fact a covariance term between them. I do not believe that covariance term between BLUPs is available in lmer (I wrote my own mixed model function that does spit this out, however).

Just to be didactic for a moment. Take a look at Henderson's equation(say at the link below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_model

The covariance term between the blups that you would need comes from the lower right block of the leftmost matrix at the final solution. Lmer is not parameterized this way, so the comparison is not intended to show how that term would be extracted from lmer. Only to show that is does exist in the likelihood and can (conceivably) be extracted or computed from the terms given by lmer.