[R-sig-ME] comparing posterior means

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Wed Oct 15 16:24:21 CEST 2014

Hello,

This is only a very partial answer...

As your difference between countries j and k would be (b0j - b0k) =
(bb0 + u0j) - (bb0 + u0k) = (uu0j - uu0k), I guess only variances of uu0j
is needed, but I have no idea for the correlation between uu0j and uu0k.

However, I wonder if this test means anything: assuming that random
effects are Gaussian, you're (almost) certain that b0j will be
differents for different countries; the non-significance of the test
would only mean a lack of power.

Wouldnt' the fact that some differences may have practical interest
and some not be better investigated using approaches similar to
equivalence tests, by
 1) defining what is the minimal difference of practical interest
 2) building the confidence intervals of these differences and see if
    it is comprised or completely outside the above region?

Hope this may help