[R-sig-ME] predict.merMod

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 22:37:53 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Alex Whitworth <whitworth.alex at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dr Bolker,
>
> I tried installing the development / github version of lme4 today and ran
> into an error. R system messages copied below. Any help would be
> appreciated.

  I'm cc'ing this to r-sig-mixed-models in case anyone has an idea.
  In the meantime,
* I'm also posting a Windows binary of the latest development version
(today's github version), as built by CRAN's win-builder, to
http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/repos/ ; it will take up to 24 hours to
show up there
* I've also put a version at
http://ms.mcmaster.ca/~bolker/R/bin/windows/contrib/3.1/ , available
immediately

  You can install this under R 3.1.* with an appropriate
install.packages(...,repos=...) incantation, or download the .zip file and
install it locally.

> On a second note, I'm still working on my "hacked" version of the predict
> function predict.merMod2() . I've solved one of the issues I was running
> into but am still working on an issue related to the random effects for
> grouping variables that are of type factor.

  (What other kinds of grouping variables are there ...  ?)

> I hope to be able to solve this / put the solution on stackoverflow in the
> near-ish future.

  I'm hoping that the predict.merMod in the development version will solve
all your problems, or that if it doesn't you can create a small
reproducible example and I can fix it centrally.  Provide that you're not
trying to do something really weird/baroque, it makes more sense to have
the package Just Work than to have a proliferation of individual
fixes/workarounds.

> Restarting R session...
>
> > devtools::install_github("lme4","lme4")
> Installing github repo lme4/master from lme4
> Downloading master.zip from
> https://github.com/lme4/lme4/archive/master.zip
> Installing package from
> C:\Users\alewit\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpYHOfgM/master.zip
> Installing lme4
> "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.1/bin/x64/R" --vanilla CMD build  \
>
> "C:\Users\alewit\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpYHOfgM\devtools138845a711f6\lme4-master"
> --no-manual  \
>   --no-resave-data
>
> * checking for file
> 'C:\Users\alewit\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpYHOfgM\devtools138845a711f6\lme4-master/DESCRIPTION'
> ... OK
> * preparing 'lme4':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * cleaning src
> Warning in cleanup_pkg(pkgdir, Log) :
>   unable to run 'make clean' in 'src'
> * installing the package to build vignettes
> Warning: running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.1/bin/x64/Rcmd.exe"
> INSTALL -l "C:\Users\alewit\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmp2ppmfo\Rinst13c46423bb3"
> --no-multiarch
> "C:/Users/alewit/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmp2ppmfo/Rbuild13c45c0e2b4e/lme4"'
> had status 1
>       -----------------------------------
> * installing *source* package 'lme4' ...
> ** libs
> Warning: running command 'make -f "Makevars.win" -f
> "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.1/etc/x64/Makeconf" -f
> "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-31~1.1/share/make/winshlib.mk"
> SHLIB_LDFLAGS='$(SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS)' SHLIB_LD='$(SHLIB_CXXLD)'
> SHLIB="lme4.dll" WIN=64 TCLBIN=64 OBJECTS="external.o glmFamily.o
> mcmcsamp.o optimizer.o predModule.o respModule.o"' had status 127
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'lme4'
> * removing
> 'C:/Users/alewit/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmp2ppmfo/Rinst13c46423bb3/lme4'
> ERROR: package installation failed
> Error: Command failed (1)

  I'm not  sure what's going on here.  Googling for "status 127" suggests
that it's a pretty generic error code, so it doesn't give a lot of clues.
Is it possible you're having permissions errors (hinted at by "unable to
run 'make clean' in 'src'"?  What happens if you try disabling vignette
building using build_vignettes=FALSE in your install_github() ?

  Are you able to install other packages from github?