[R-sig-ME] Multiple independent random effects

Mark Payne markpayneatwork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:00:44 CEST 2014

Thanks for the replies. The quick fix of course is to just convert the
random effects to fixed effects and do the rest with gls()  which works in
this situation quite acceptably. But I'm surprised about this - is there a
technical constraint that means that the two can't be combined? Or is it
just a matter of history?

Mark