[R-sig-ME] Seeming discrepancy between summary and confint; was: Confidence interval for relative contribution of random effect variance

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Fri Sep 12 17:54:55 CEST 2014

Double check your results, you will see that there is agreement also
for random effects: the column to use is Std. Dev. which is indeed in
the confidence intervals given by confint --- just like standard
deviation for the residuals.

It just happen that confidence intervals are so wide, that they also
include the Variance value, but thats « bad luck ».