[R-sig-ME] Multiple independent random effects

Mark Payne markpayneatwork at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 12:12:23 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a mixed-effects model in lme4 like so

mdl <- lmer(T ~1 + (1|A) + (1|B),...)

where the factors A and B are being modelled as independent random effects.
However, there is also heteroscedasticity in the problem, where the
variance of T depends on a third grouping factor, lets called it C.

I can fit such a model in the nlme package, using  the
weights=varIdent(form=~1| C)  argument, but this package doesn't seem to
easily support independent random effects of the form shown above...

How can I get the best of both worlds here?

Mark