[R-sig-ME] Random effects in clmm() of package ordinal

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 19:51:07 CEST 2014

Hi Christian,

I think clmm is dealing with the random 'slopes' correctly (or at
least it gives the same estimates as MCMCglmm) when temp is
categorical (see below). Without knowing much about clmm I can imagine
it might fail when temp is truly continuous because the variance of
each latent variable varies as a function of the covariate and so (in
the probit case) the cdf of the normal (i.e. the probit link) would
need to be evaluated using different standard deviations.

Cheers,

Jarrod

fm2 <- clmm(rating ~ temp + contact + (temp-1 | judge),
            data = wine, link="probit",
            Hess = TRUE)

# note that I have changed temp|judge to temp-1|judge because I think
it makes more sense with categorical variables.  Also I have used
probit link in order to compare it to MCMCglmm's "threshold".

prior2=list(R=list(V=1, fix=1), G=list(G1=list(V=diag(2), nu=2,
alpha.V=diag(2)*100, alpha.mu=c(0,0))))

fm2.mcmc <- MCMCglmm(rating ~ temp + contact, random=~us(temp):judge,
data = wine,family="threshold", prior=prior2, nitt=13000*10,
thin=10*5, burnin=3000*10, verbose=FALSE)

par(mfrow=c(2,2))
hist(fm2.mcmc$Sol[,2], breaks=50)
abline(v=coef(fm2)[5], col="red")
hist(fm2.mcmc$Sol[,3], breaks=50)
abline(v=coef(fm2)[6], col="red")
hist(fm2.mcmc$VCV[,1], breaks=50)
abline(v=VarCorr(fm2)$judge[1], col="red")
hist(fm2.mcmc$VCV[,4], breaks=50)
abline(v=VarCorr(fm2)$judge[4], col="red")

Quoting Christian Brauner <christianvanbrauner at gmail.com> on Fri, 29
Aug 2014 19:20:42 +0200:

> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Interesting. I just read the reference manual for the ordinal package (v.
> July 2, 2014) and indeed at the beginning it states "random slopes (random
> coefficient models) are not yet implemented" (p. 3). If this i indeed true
> then I'm puzzled by some things:
> (a) later on he explains the usage of the extractor function VarCorr() for
> class "clmm" and states "[...] a model can contain a random intercept (one
> column) or a random intercept and a random slope (two columns) for the
> same grouping factor" (p. 52).
> (b) at first glance this seems inconsistent with the output of clmm():
>
> library(ordinal)
> fm2 <- clmm(rating ~ temp + contact + (temp | judge),
>             data = wine,
>             Hess = TRUE)
>
> Now look at
>
> summary(fm2)
>
> Random effects:
>  Groups Name        Variance Std.Dev. Corr
>  judge  (Intercept) 1.15608  1.0752
>         tempwarm    0.02801  0.1674   0.649
> Number of groups:  judge 9
>
> and
>
> ranef(fm2)
>
>> ranef(fm2)
> $judge
>   (Intercept)    tempwarm
> 1  1.61166859  0.20664909
> 2 -0.49269459 -0.06317359
> 3  0.93254466  0.11957142
> 4 -0.08571746 -0.01099074
> 5  0.13893821  0.01781474
> 6  0.44710565  0.05732815
> 7 -1.77974875 -0.22820043
> 8 -0.26589478 -0.03409318
> 9 -0.51044493 -0.06544955
>
> that looks like a random intercept and random slope model.
>
> What I accidently did in my models (illustrating here with his example) is
> not to replace "temp" in the fixed part but in the ranom part:
> fm2 <- clmm(rating ~ temp + contact + (temp | judge),
>             data = wine,
>             Hess = TRUE)
> fm2a <- clmm(rating ~ temp + contact + (1 | judge),
>              data = wine,
>              Hess = TRUE)
> anova(fm2a, fm2)
>
> The anova output is fairly similar to mine; the p is extremely high as
> well.
>
> All the standard stuff works without a warning, e.g.:
> fm2b <- clmm(rating ~ temp + contact + (1 | judge) + (temp + 0 | judge),
>              data = wine,
>              Hess = TRUE)
>
> So what is happening here? Anybody got an idea?
>
> Best,
> Christian
>

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:41:26AM -0700, Malcolm Fairbrother wrote:
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> The ordinal package (which is otherwise very handy) does not allow for
>> random slopes (only random intercepts), so I don't think you can have
>> tested what you think you tested using that package.
>>
>> You could try the MCMCglmm package instead, which allows for ordinal models
>> *and* random slopes.

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.