[R-sig-ME] parallel MCMCglmm, RNGstreams, starting values & priors

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 19:39:59 CEST 2014

Hi Ruben,

1) it did not return an error with rcov = ~trait:units because you
used R1=rpois(2,1)+1 and yet this specification only fits a single
variance (not a 2x2 covariance matrix). R1=rpois(2,1)+1 is a bit of a
weird specification since it has to be integer. I would obtain
starting values using rIW().

2) yes, that will prevent convergence

3) a) how many effective samples do you have for each parameter? and
b) are you getting extreme category problems/numerical issues? If you
store the latent variables (pl=TUE) what is their range for the Zi/za
part?

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Ruben Arslan <rubenarslan at gmail.com> on Wed, 27 Aug 2014
19:23:42 +0200:

> [...]
>> standard Poisson)
>>
>> dat<-data.frame(y=y, g = g, pred = pred)
>>

>> start.1<-list(liab=c(l1,l2), R = list(R1=diag(2)), G=list(G1=diag(2)))
>> prior.1<-list(R=list(V=diag(2), nu=1.002, fix=2),
>> G=list(G1=list(V=diag(2), nu=2, alpha.mu=c(0,0),
>> alpha.V=diag(2)*1000)))
>>
>> m1<-MCMCglmm(y~trait + pred:trait, random=~us(trait):g,
>> family="zapoisson",rcov=~idh(trait):units, data=dat, prior=prior.1,
>> start= start.1)
>>
>> However, there are 2 bugs in the current version of MCMCglmm that
>> return an error message when the documentation implies it should be
>> fine:
>>
>> a) it should be possible to have R=diag(2) rather than R =
>> list(R1=diag(2)). This bug cropped up when I implemented
>> block-diagonal R structures. It can be fixed by inserting:
>>
>>          if(!is.list(start$R)){
>>             start$R<-list(R1=start$R)
>>          }
>>
>> on L514 of MCMCglmm.R below
>>
>>          if(!is.list(prior$R[[1]])){
>>             prior$R<-list(R1=prior$R)
>>          }
>>
>> b) rcov=~trait:units models for zi/za models will return an error
>> when passing starting values. To fix this insert
>>
>>         if(diagR==3){
>>           if(dim(start)[1]!=1){
>>             stop("V is the wrong dimension for some
>> strart$G/start$R elements")
>>           }
>>           start<-diag(sum(nfl))*start[1]
>>         }
>>
>> on L90 of priorfromat.R below
>>
>>         if(is.matrix(start)==FALSE){
>>           start<-as.matrix(start)
>>         }
>>
>> I will put these in the new version.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jarrod
>>

>> Quoting Ruben Arslan <rubenarslan at gmail.com> on Mon, 25 Aug 2014
>> 21:52:30 +0200:
>>
>>> Hi Jarrod,
>>>
>>> thanks for these pointers.

>>> Oh, I would be happy with single chains, but since computation
>>> would take weeks this way, I wanted to parallelise and I would use
>>> the multi-chain convergence as a criterion that my parallelisation
>>> was proper
>>> and is as informative as a single long chain. There don't seem to
>>> be any such checks built-in – I was analysing my 40 chains for a
>>> bit longer than I like to admit until I noticed they were
>>> identical (effectiveSize
>>> and summary.mcmc.list did not yell at me for this).

>>> I get that these values are bad, but that is the goal for my
>>> multi-chain aim, right?
>>>
>>> I can apply this to my zero-truncated model, but am again getting
>>> stuck with the zero-altered one.
>>> Maybe I need only specify the Liab values for this?
>>> At least I'm getting nowhere with specifying R and G starting
>>> values here. When I got an error, I always
>>> went to the MCMCglmm source to understand why the checks failed,
>>> but I didn't always understand
>>> what was being checked and couldn't get it to work.

>>> t<-(-log(1-runif(200)*(1-exp(-exp(l)))))
>>> g = sample(letters[1:10], size = 200, replace = T)
>>> pred = rnorm(200)
>>> y<-rpois(200,exp(l)-t)
>>> y[1:40] = 0
>>> # generate zero-altered data with an intercept of -1
>>>
>>> dat<-data.frame(y=y, g = g, pred = pred)
>>> set.seed(1)
>>> start_true = list(Liab=l, R = 1, G = 1 )
>>> m1<-MCMCglmm(y~1 + pred,random = ~ g,
>>> family="zapoisson",rcov=~us(trait):units, data=dat, start=
>>> start_true)
>>>
>>> # use true latent variable as starting values
>>> set.seed(1)
>>> # use some very bad starting values
>>> start_rand = list(Liab=rnorm(200), R = rpois(1, 1)+1, G = rpois(1, 1)+1 )
>>> m2<-MCMCglmm(y~1 + pred,random = ~ g,rcov=~us(trait):units,