[R-sig-ME] Binomial GLMM or GAMM with random intercept and temporal correlation

Samantha Cox samantha.cox at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 19:33:38 CEST 2014

Dear mixed models mailing list,

I am trying to model some binomial data (0/1) as a function of sex (0/1) and DistanceToFeature (continuous km's) with an interaction between the two.  My data is nested and I therefore want to include a random intercept for InidividualID and within that I want to include an AR1 correlation structure as the data is serially/temporally auto-correlated.  I understand any correlation structure should be nested within the random effect.

So far I have tried running the model using glmmPQL as

glmmPQL(Y ~ DistanceToFeature * Sex + (1|InidividualID), correlation=corAR1(form=~1|IndividualID/ContinuousBout), family='binomial', data='birds')

(note - ContinuousBout is an ID for where there are time gaps in the data).

However, although this runs, am I right in understanding that I should not use PQL estimation with binomial data as it gives biased results?  Does anyone know of a way I can model this?

I understand that this is also the case if I wish to use GAMM (as later I will be modelling a non-linear explanatory as well)?

Additionally I will also be running a similar set up but where the data are not equally spaced in time (and therefore an AR1 structure would not apply). Can anyone give a recommendation of a modelling framework for this also.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Sam

[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>