[R-sig-ME] Trivariate MCMCglmm

Matthew Wolak s06mw3 at abdn.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 12:13:18 CEST 2014

Dear Gemma,

I can offer a couple of quick things to check. First, do you have any inbreeding occurring in your study design? This could cause the additive effects to change depending on the presence of the dominance term in the model.

You might also want to consider a larger thinning interval. It is hard to say anything particularly useful without knowing more information or having quantitative descriptors of the model [e.g., what is the output from: autocorr(model3.2) or the effective sample sizes for each random effect?]. However, I suspect the autocorrelation between thinned samples is probably pretty high. Depending on what autocorr(model3.2) tells you, you might want to consider changing the following three arguments like so:

   nitt = 5005000, burnin = 5000, thin = 5000

It might also be hard for the model to separate dominance and maternal effects from one another, but it is hard to say without knowing more about the breeding design. In general, you could be pushing the model too hard with 3 traits, 4 random terms, and only 1063 animals. If you don't have much missing phenotypic data, univariate models might be a lot easier to start with so that you can see if dominance and/or maternal effects are even necessary to include in the trivariate model.

I was a little uncertain about your statement:

"On the other hand, characters with high dominance effects have a change in additive effects in the model without dominance. Additive effects are highly reduced when dominance is added to the model. Is this an overestimation of the additive variance in the model without dominance caused by its lack?"

To be clear, are you being careful to use precise language when talking about the individual animal effects for the additive or dominance "effects" (i.e., the model BLUPs) versus the model estimate of the variance in these effects when talking about the "additive variance"?

Sincerely,
Matthew

Dr. Matthew E. Wolak
School of Biological Sciences