[R-sig-ME] lmer random and fixed effect?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 22:59:01 CEST 2014

  In this example:

lmer(formula = extro~open+agree+social+class+(1|school/class),
     data = lmm.data)

  'class' is included as a fixed effect, and the random effects grouping
variable is specified as school/class, which means "class nested within
school", i.e. the same as school+school:class (where : denotes
interaction).  Note that class itself is *not* included as a
random-effects grouping variable.   This model specification would make
sense if (1) levels of the class variable are defined across schools
(i.e. class #1 in school #1 has something in common with class #1 in
school #2); (2) it makes sense to treat class as a fixed effect, i.e. we
have a fairly small number of classes and/or we want to make inferences
about the values of particular classes contrasts among specific classes
(and not just the variation among classes)