[R-sig-ME] Random effect variance = zero

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:21:07 CEST 2014

On 14-08-14 06:54 AM, Marco Plebani wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> Package blme has been suggested for fixing issues with random effect
> variance = zero in other occasions, but I do not understand the
> rationale behind it. What does blme that lme4 does not? In which way
> do the two approaches differ? In particular: - what is the prior
> information that blme is using, and - how comes that blme still
> estimates parameter values and assign p-values to them? According to
> my (very limited) knowledge of bayesian stats the outcome of the
> analysis should be an updated distribution of the possible parameter
> values.
>
> The available documentation about blme is limited and/or I could not
> find it. I realize that my question on blme hides another, much
> broader, on how bayesian stats work; regarding the latter, a
> suggestion of a good, practice-oriented reference book would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Marco

 (Started writing this before Doug's comments, which I agree are [as
usual] thoughtful and sensible but think represent one point of view.)

  For a start, there's a paper that describes the approach in detail:
Chung, Yeojin and Rabe-Hesketh, Sophia and Dorie, Vincent and Gelman,
Andrew and Liu, Jingche. "A Nondegenerate Penalized Likelihood Estimator
for Variance Parameters in Multilevel Models". Psychometrika
doi:10.1007/s11336-013-9328-2

  As for the p-values; I would say that in this context they're not
particularly philosophically coherent but do still represent a rough
measure of strength of evidence ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker