[R-sig-ME] How is the covariance factor computed?

Vincent Dorie vdorie at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 17 21:24:07 CEST 2014

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but the parameters of the variance/covariance matrix are stored in the theta slot of a merMod in a form such that they correspond to a Cholesky factorization of the individual components of the var/cov matrix of the random effects, with the diagonal in the first 'd' parts of the vector and the off-diagonal stored in column-major format in the next d * (d - 1) / 2 elements. Given a theta vector, to get to a representation such as that which Tlist gives requires knowing how to map the parameters to matrices. This is currently done by hand, using the knowledge that the cnms slot of a merMod contains the dimension of each grouping "factor"/"level" and the aforementioned Cholesky decomposition storage concept. In the future, however, if lme4 supports different forms of variance/covariances matrices for factors other than "full" (e.g. independent, or correlation only), then that knowledge will need to be referenced instead. I believe there is effort on that front in the "flexLambda" branch on github.

On the other hand, if you were asking where those numbers come from, it turns out that (at least for linear models) those parameters are sufficient to define a likelihood wherein the fixed effects and conditional error term (sigma) are analytically optimized. Since the goal is a maximum likelihood, or REML, the sigma parameters are then simply numerically optimized. You can then easily evaluate the mixed model likelihood at any value of the var/cov matrix of the random effects that you like, provided you are willing to accept maximal values for the fixed effects and sigma. If you wanted to plug those values in as well, it's a bit of a pain but it can be done.

Vince