[R-sig-ME] gamm4 model fit error

Nicholas Lange nlange at hms.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 13 14:13:17 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm running R.3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 with gamm4 version 0.2-2 and lme4 version 1.1-7. I get the following error when trying to fit the simplest gamm4 model I can think of:

> fit = gamm4( y ~ s(x))

Warning message:
In deviance.merMod(ret$mer) :
 deviance() is deprecated for REML fits; use REMLcrit for the REML criterion or deviance(.,REML=FALSE) for deviance calculated at the REML fit.

> fit

$mer
Linear mixed model fit by REML ['lmerMod']
REML criterion at convergence: 3891.265
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Std.Dev.
 LabID    (Intercept) 112.16
 Xr       s(AgeYears) 452.89
 Residual              35.24
Number of obs: 343, groups:  LabID, 156; Xr, 8
Fixed Effects:
   X(Intercept)  Xs(AgeYears)Fx1
        1310.73            23.13

$gam

Family: gaussian
Link function: identity

Formula:
TotalBrain ~ s(AgeYears)

Estimated degrees of freedom:
5.28  total = 6.28

lmer.REML score: 3891.265

Not the usual regression summary table, no p-values.

Does anyone see what's wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick