[R-sig-ME] rpt.remlLMM(y, groups) causes R to crash

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:54:35 CEST 2014

On 14-06-06 10:31 AM, AvianResearchDivision wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After running mixed models using 'lme4', I have moved on to calculating
> repeatabilities using the package 'rptR' on my data set.  I have 879
> observations over 59 individuals.  I am using the calll
> rpt.remlLMM(y,groups) to obtain repeatabilities, but after about 15 seconds
> I get a error stating:
>
>  R for Windows GUI front-end has stopped working
>
> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close
> the program and notify you if a solution is available.
>

> I am running Windows 7 with a i3 processor and 4 gb of memory so I wouldn't
> expect this error to be computer performance related.
>
> I should note that I can run the rpt.aov(y,groups) call just fine.  When
> running the following mixed model, I don't have any convergence issues:
>
> lmer(Response~Predictor+(Predictor|Individual))
>

> Has anyone come across this issue or have any suggestions?
>

> Best,
> Jacob

  (It would help to specify that rptR is available from r-forge: it took
me a few extra minutes to dig around and find it.)

  For what it's worth, rpt.remlLMM appears to use nlme::lme (not
lme4::lmer) internally.   There doesn't seem to be anything particularly
scary in the guts of the function (e.g. no calls to compiled code), so I
really haven't much of a clue.  A reproducible example would probably be
helpful.  (Probably worth checking with the package maintainer as well:
 maintainer("rptR")).

  Can you run the examples in ?rpt.remlLMM successfully?  What if you
take those examples and bump up the number of permutation/bootstrap
replicates?

  Ben Bolker