[R-sig-ME] Power analysis for a LMM with unbalanced data and continuous covariates

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Jun 4 19:18:01 CEST 2014

Well said Jake,

The only proper answer to a reviewer's question about the power associated with these findings is
"We did not perform an a-priori power calculation so the power is unknown".

In this case, if you fail to reject the null hypothesis, you can make no conclusion that will have
a known error rate.  Failure to reject does not mean you can conclude that there is no
difference in plasticity across the range of population sizes.  The answer remains unknown.
A confidence interval provides useful information, and power calculations for future studies
could be undertaken with these data, after some discussion as to what size of plasticity
differences is scientifically or biologically meaningful.

Post-hoc power calculations are inappropriate, and if the reviewer insists on them, you
can educate the reviewer about the inappropriate nature of post-hoc power calculations.

Russel Lenth has very good articles discussing this issue.

Steven McKinney, Ph.D.

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC