[R-sig-ME] Assessing Normality for Mixed Models

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed May 21 18:19:25 CEST 2014

Just some general comments:

For some discussion and results on the robustness of the linear mixed-effects model (LMM) to non-normal random effects, see:

Verbeke, G., & Lesaffre, E. (1997). The effect of misspecifying the random-effects distribution in linear mixed models for longitudinal data. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 23, 541-556.

In essence, yes, the LMM is robust (in the sense of: the estimates are consistent), but a sandwich-type estimator of the variance-covariance matrix of the fixed-effects may be needed under non-normality.

As for your model selection strategy, it may be better to start with (Predictor|Male) and leave it as such. See:

Barr, D. J., Levy, R., Scheepers, C., & Tily, H. J. (2013). Random effects structure for confirmatory hypothesis testing: Keep it maximal. Journal of Memory and Language, 68(3), 255-278.

And why not just fit:

model <- lmer(Response ~ Predictor(within) + Predictor(between) + (Predictor(within)|Male))

and just report that? Any model selection strategy is going to alter the statistical properties of any tests you run on the fixed effects on the 'final' model. The above seems like an a priori sensible model, so my suggestion would be to just fit that and report the results (of course, you are free to do anything 'exploratory' beyond that if it is clearly marked as such).

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology