[R-sig-ME] "parm" parameter in lme4::confint.merMod

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:21:00 CEST 2014

On 14-05-18 07:34 AM, Henrik Singmann wrote:
> Hi Jake,
>
> I think fixef() or names(fixef()) gives you what you want:

  I don't think it gets you everything.  Your solution works
in the method="Wald" case because method="Wald" only returns
the fixed effects, so one only has to keep track of those
positions.  method="profile" and "boot" include both
variance-covariance and fixed effect parameters, in that order.
Some possibilities are

names(unlist(getME(m1,c("theta","fixef"))))
## this gives names of 'theta' parameters (i.e. Cholesky factors)
## rather than standard deviations/correlations, but I believe
## the order is the same

## theta parameters only (hidden function)
lme4:::tnames(m1)

require(lme4)
data(md_16.4, package = "afex")
m1 <-  lmer(induct ~ cond*cog + (cog|room:cond), md_16.4)

## I actually had some problems with profiling this example --
## not quite sure why.  Will have to look into it.
pp <- profile(m1)

confint(m1,parm=3)