[R-sig-ME] ANOVA type lll ss table for GLMER?

Henrik Singmann henrik.singmann at psychologie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed May 14 16:02:11 CEST 2014

Dear Heather,

you could try to use mixed from the afex package which will give you Type III p-values for the effects via Chi^2 tests (or alternatively via parametric bootstrap):

require(afex)
(spden2 <- mixed(SpDens~(treat*samp)-1+(1|TRANSECT),family=poisson, data=rm, nAGQ = 9, method = "LRT")

Note however, that loading afex changes your overall contrasts, to reset the default contrasts use:
options(contrasts=c('contr.treatment', 'contr.poly'))

Furthermore, (g)lmer doesn't break the factors done by *all* levels. It removes the first levels (usually). Hence the parameters cannot directly be interpreted if this level is "significant".

Hope this helps,
Henrik

--
Dr. Henrik Singmann
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany