[R-sig-ME] lme4 question

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat May 10 20:05:40 CEST 2014

On 14-05-08 08:34 PM, Francis, David wrote:
> I have an R/lme4 question that is vexing me, and I am hoping that you
> can provide some direction (even a hint at where I should look would
> be fine).

  I thought I had answered this, but it must have slipped through the
cracks.
  If you look at the ?lmerControl manual page, you'll see the
check.nobs.vs.nlev (you may need check.nobs.vs.nRE as well, I don't
remember) which will allow you to override/bypass this check.

  The reason for this default is that, although there _are_ use cases
(such as yours) where the unidentifiability of the variance-covariance
matrix doesn't matter, people who specify these models most often (in my
experience) don't know they are doing it, and usually don't want to.

  hope that helps,
    Ben Bolker