[R-sig-ME] Accessing and updating lmer objects

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue May 6 21:27:09 CEST 2014

On 14-05-06 12:11 AM, Asaf Weinstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to follow the lme4 manual (Bates) where objects returned by
> lmer() are accessed in the following way (for example):
>
> fm08 at re@Lambda at x[] <- c(1,0,1)[fm08 at re@Lind]
>
> If I understand correctly, accessing with "@" no longer works, and to
> obtain, eg, Lambda, I'll need to use
>
> getME(fm08, 'Lambda')
>
> instead.
>
> But how do I update an object (not just view it)? In other words, what
> command replaces
>
> fm08 at re@Lambda at x[] <- c(1,0,1)[fm08 at re@Lind] ?

   I *believe* (without much testing) that if m is a merMod object this
would be something like

m at pp$Lambdat at x[] <- c(1,0,1)[m at pp$Lind]

but I'm afraid that you might run into a _lot_ of roadblocks if you try
to work your way through the old manual with the new lme4.  We are
working on updated documentation ... it might make more sense to work
either with lme4.0, or with the lme4pureR package from Github ...

  Ben Bolker