[R-sig-ME] glmmADMB zero-inflated poisson model. How to solve

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon May 5 20:58:08 CEST 2014

Laura,

You have 29 non-zero observations. Assuming that all variables are continuous (or discrete with only two levels), your full model estimates 9 parameters for the poisson part (and 1 for the zero inflated part). 29 observations for 9 parameters is just not enough. As a rule of thumb, you need about 10 observations per parameter.

This leaves you with 3 options: 1) gather more non-zero data (aim for at least 300 more non-zero observations). 2) rethink your full model so that is only uses 3 parameters. Note that you need 2 parameters for your random effects. Hence one (1!) left for the fixed effects. 3) Put this dataset in the garbage bin and start a new experiment from scratch. Consult a local statistician while designing your experiment.

I'm afraid the quotes in my signature apply to your problem.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey