[R-sig-ME] Reconciling Near Identical AIC Values and Highly Significant P Value

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 18:25:07 CEST 2014

On 14-04-14 10:08 AM, AvianResearchDivision wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your response.  How then would you proceed with testing two
> models that are not nested within each other?  I suppose I could compare
> AIC values, but is it correct to use the AIC values obtained using my
> initial method of anova(model2,model)?
>
> Thank you,
> Jacob

   I think you might have to back up and think about what hypothesis
you're testing when you're comparing two non-nested models.  You could
consider Vuong's test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuong%27s_closeness_test ;
http://fisher.osu.edu/~schroeder.9/AMIS900/Vuong1989.pdf ...
alternatively, I do think comparing AICs makes sense.  AIC(model,model2)
will just give you a list of AIC values.  bbmle::AICtab(model,model2)
will give you a slightly prettier output.
   Keep the various limitations of AIC (asymptotic; assumes internal
points -- see http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq) in mind too.

  Ben Bolker