[R-sig-ME] lme4/glmer convergence warnings

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:08:07 CEST 2014

On 14-04-10 04:38 AM, W Robert Long wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> For my model, I get
>
>>   max(abs(relgrad))
> [1] 1.081706
>
> Does this help ?
>
> Thanks
> Rob

  Thanks.
   Unfortunately it means there's still something we don't understand.
To sum up:

  * we calculate the finite-difference gradients and Hessians with
respect to the model parameters at the estimated MLE (or restricted MLE).

  - these might be poor estimates; we are using our own hand-rolled,
naive central finite difference code rather than the better tested code
in the numDeriv package, which uses the more expensive but more accurate
Richardson method.  To see if this is the problem, compare

  fitted_model at optinfo$derivs$gradient

  dd <- update(fitted_model,devFunOnly=TRUE)
  params <- getME(fitted_model,"theta")
## or unlist(getME(fitted_model,c("theta","fixef")) for GLMMs
  grad(dd,params)

and see if they differ significantly.  I mostly have *not* seen a
discrepancy in these, although Rune Haubo has reported some
discrepancies (although I think they were in the Hessian rather than the
gradient ... ?)

  It might make sense to compare the Hessian in @optinfo with
hessian(dd,params) from numDeriv as well.

 * we then check those gradients, or the relative gradients from

  with(fitted_model at optinfo$derivs,solve(Hessian,gradient))

against some tolerance.  It makes sense that large gradients at the
estimated parameters (where they should be zero) are a problem, but it
continues to be unclear to me on exactly what scale they should be
small/how we should make this comparison ...

  It might make sense to see if John Nash's optfntools package (on
r-forge) has any useful tools or ideas, although as I recall (vaguely)
those implementations of (e.g.) the KKT criteria
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karush%E2%80%93Kuhn%E2%80%93Tucker_conditions>
were pretty sensitive ...

 * as a crude test of whether the actual value you got is a false
convergence (I know in this case you don't think it is, but including
this for completeness) the things I know to do are (1) try re-fitting
with different optimizers, either starting from the putative best fit or
from scratch (see
<https://github.com/lme4/lme4/blob/master/misc/issues/allFit.R>); (2)
try re-starting the _same_ optimizer from the putative best fit; (3)
explore the likelihood surface (e.g. with profiling or bbmle::slice2D).

  Ben Bolker