[R-sig-ME] Use of offset variable when analysing rates in lme4

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Apr 3 14:22:56 CEST 2014

Dear Caroli,

Your model is
visits ~ Pois(lamba)
log(lambda) = mu = beta_i * treat + beta_j * timecat + log(infl)

which can be rewritten to

log(lambda) - log(infl) = mu - log(infl) = beta_i * treat + beta_j * timecat
log(lambda) - log(infl) = log(lambda / infl) = log(visitation rate)

hence beta_i and beta_j are effects in log(visitation rate). Exponentiating the results from glht should give you the relative effects on the visitation rate.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey