[R-sig-ME] Release Dates lme4 Version

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:13:38 CET 2014

On 14-03-11 06:35 AM, Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is actually more of a question directly for the lme4
> maintainers, but I think others may be interested as well, so I am
> sending this to the mailing list. I noticed that there are already
> versions 1.1-0, 1.1-3, and 1.1-4 of lme4 on GitHub (with some
> fixes/changes that I am quite keen on), while the CRAN version is
> currently at 1.0-6. I am just wondering whether there are any
> definite (or semi-definite) plans on when to release a new CRAN
> version (yes, I have installed the dev version from GitHub; this is
> more about benefitting from those fixes/changes when using a package
> that depends on lme4 and that is installed by users in the usual way
> via CRAN).
>
> (and as usual: thanks to the lme4 maintainers for all of their hard
> work!)
>
> Best, Wolfgang

  Very definite: we're in the process of submitting 1.1-4 to CRAN right
now (we had to hurry up a bit because there have been changes in R-devel
and upstream packages that we needed to accommodate).  There are a small
number of downstream packages that our new release breaks, and we're
working on contacting those maintainers/helping them fix the problems.

   The thing most users will notice in installing the new version is a
wider range of convergence warnings.  Overall we think this is a good
idea: users who didn't know that their fits were dodgy will find out.
On the other hand, we also know there will be some false positives, and
we look forward (!!) to reassuring users ... (this will be a big
motivation to get improved diagnostic/troubleshooting documentation set
up, within the package or on glmm.wikidot.com/faq or elsewhere ...)

  cheers
    Ben Bolker