[R-sig-ME] Specify prior for sir-function and starting values in the MCMCglmm packages?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 16:19:57 CET 2014

Hi Linus,

Sorry for the delay. The warning

"priors for sir parameters not implemented"

is correct, and so the priors are essentially flat priors, equivalent
to a Gaussian with mean zero and very large variance. The default
prior in MCMCglmm for the fixed is mean zero and a variance of 10^8
and so I would expect them to give very similar answers (unless there
is confounding). For some models/data (for example categorical data
and complete or near-complete separation) then these priors can behave
poorly, but given sir models can only be fitted to Gaussian data in
MCMCglmm, I guess this is not the case.

In the next update (which I realise is taking a long time) I will
implement prior distributions and starting values.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Linus Holtermann <holtermann at hwwi.org> on Fri, 31 Jan 2014
12:24:56 +0100:

> Dear list members,
>
> unfortunately Jarrod Hadfield is on field work until the end of June
> and cant help me with my problems.  Maybe someone on the mailing
> list knows how to specify starting values and a Prior for the
> sir-function in MCMCglmm. Short code examples would be great.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Linus Holtermann
> Hamburgisches WeltWirtschaftsInstitut gemeinnützige GmbH (HWWI)
> Heimhuder Straße 71
> 20148 Hamburg
> Tel +49-(0)40-340576-336
> Fax+49-(0)40-340576-776
> Internet: www.hwwi.org
> Email: holtermann at hwwi.org
>
> AmtsgerichtHamburg HRB 94303
> Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Thomas Straubhaar, Gunnar Geyer
> Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 241849425

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.