[R-sig-ME] Random intercepts and/or slopes

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Oct 10 14:21:59 CEST 2013

Since there is only a single replicate per patient, it is not possible to estimate the patient-level variance in these models:

response ~ Indep. Variables + (1|Patient)
response ~ Indep. Variables + (1|Doctor) + (1|Patient)

So, the only model that is really applicable here is:

response ~ Indep. Variables + (1|Doctor)

This model accounts for the nesting of patients within doctors.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology